Our Knots & Cooking outing is fast approaching. It is this Saturday.
We are joining the Webelos II den on this outing.
We are leaving the Parish House at 12:30PM and returning a little after 4:00.
Let me know if you and your scout will attend. The trainers need a total count in advance for supplies, etc.
Scouts should be in their class-A uniforms (button down shirt, etc.)
The Bear Den is going to the Raptor Trust on November 2nd. The Trust is in Millington, NJ bordering the Great Swamp and is about 35 minutes south of Boonton Township (map).
We have scheduled a 3:00 tour of the birds of prey (eagles, hawks, owls) and a raptor presentation. The tour should be about an hour to 90 minutes. To learn more about the Trust, visit www.theraptortrust.org.
The plan is to meet and leave from the Parish House at 2:10, leave at 2:15 and to arrive there 2:50. (If some are not able to meet at Parish House, we'll meet them at the Trust)
Please use this form to let us know whether your scout is coming or not. Also, if you are driving and available to drive others. If you have have any questions, you can email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call (973-404-0262).
Note: This is election day and for RVS, this is a half day.
The outing to the Morristown Airport has been postponed.
Sign-up for Wolf Preserve outing online. Go here
To just see the list of respondents, click here
We're visiting the Police Station on 2/2 at 6PM. We'll open the meeting, then get a tour of the police station. We'll also work on an achievement and/or elective.
Please remember to wear your "class-A" uniform (that's the button down shirt).
The meeting went well. I trust that the boys had fun along with the learning that was done. We even made it through must of the agenda. We accomplished the following achievements:
2f - Outdoor flag ceremony
4c - Phone etiquette
7c - Recycling
7f - Saving Energy
10b - playing home made game
12c - Home alone phone call
We also completed 2 electives:
17a. Tie the overhand and square knots
NOW for YELLING!
I need PARENTS to work with your sons to complete a number of achievements at home. Most of these can only be done at home. Please review what needs to be done and take some time with your son to get these done.
Here are some that have some lead time, so they should be started soon
4e - Plan and track chores for 1 month.
3a - Track healthy habits for 2 weeks.
When achievements are completed, let me know through email. I'll update the spreadsheet and respond back. You may also let me know through backpack mail (Declan - 2S).
Future Den Meetings
Future den meetings will cover 4f - Visit an important place (open to suggestions) & 7d - Pick up liter (waiting for warmer weather). Then I would like to move into more of the Electives.
We are also trying to arrange a field trips to an airport and the Wolf preserve.
Sat 1/23 1:00pm Lake Rickabear camp out, through Sun 1/24 Noon
Mon 2/8 7:30pm Gracelord Park, Boonton - Candlelight BSA 100 Birthday ceremony with packs & troops from tri-town and dignitaries
Tue 2/9 6:45pm Parish House, Pack meeting
That was a very good den meeting in a hap hazard sort of way. The boys seemed to enjoy the work working and the paper airplanes. I'll be finishing the wooden displays for the next meeting.
As far as achievements go, we completed the following at the meeting:
- 2a - Giving your Pledge of Allegiance to the flag and know what it means.
- 5a - Point out and now seven tools.
- 5c - Use a screwdriver.
- 5e - Make something useful.
Achievements for the home are piling up. They do not take a lot of time, once you get started. Please take the time over the holiday (if not before) to do a few with your son. Check the Achievements
spreadsheet and look for the "H's" under your son's name.
I gave out the "Progress Toward Ranks" at the meeting. Beads will be given out as the boys complete 3 achievement sections. So 4 total (12 achievements) to get to the Wolf badge.
A little belated, but thanks for a great showing for our first den meeting back on 9/25. We covered a number of achievements and there was "homework" to complete.
As a den you completed:
- 6b. Collect ten things
- 6c. Show and explain collection
- 12d. Kid with braces on legs
If your scout did not get a chance to show their collection, plan on bringing it to the next DEN meeting (not the pack meeting).
Some of the boys participated in the flag ceremony, and got credit for 2b. Lead flag ceremony. I'll ask for volunteers to assist with the future meetings. The scout should come early to help setup, lead the flag ceremony and assist the leader during the meeting. These "denners" are listed on the bottom of the achievements page.
Homework. As I mentioned at the den meeting, cubs will be expected to work on achievements at home. A parent will need to sign off the work, using the cub scout motto "Do Your Best" as a guide. At the next meeting, I can sign the book or you can send me an email confirming the achievements. Homework is marked on the Achievements page with "H"s.
- Pack meeting: Tues. 10/13 6:45 at Parish House
- Pack Overnight Family Camp-out: Sat 10/17 (no mine, just Stokes Forest, more details at Pack meeting)
- Popcorn Sale Ends: Sat 10/24
- Den meeting: Sun 10/25 at RVA fields (tent. location)
- we'll be doing some physical activities, covering achievement #1, plus a few others.
- Den outing - Lakota Wolf Preserve: Sat 12/5 2:00
More details to come for the next den meeting & the wolf outing.
Den meeting this Friday 9/25, 6:45-8:00
At Parish House
For the first meeting, will be themed for "Pockets", or basically what go into boys pockets.
- Fun Activity; Play Pie-tin Washer Toss (Elective #4a)
- Share Pizza / Make a Emergency Phone Number list (scout should have parents' office, cell phone numbers, etc.) This can then go in backpack pocket (achievement #4a)
- We'll go over Making Choices #12d. Please bring handbooks for this.
- Pocket collections. Boys should come to show their collection (or part of them) anything from rocks, marbles, baseball, Pokemon cards, etc. This is part of achievement #6.
- I'll an overview of this years' achievement plan. The Wolf badge and how Electives work. Denner & Adult volunteers.
- Go over Street and Road Safety (achievement #9c)
- Cub Cheer: "ONE, TWO, THREE, WOOF"
- Upcoming events
- Sun 10/4 - The Great Pumpkin's Pirates Hunt
- Tue 10/13 - Pack Meeting
- Sat 10/17, 18 - Overnight Family Camp Out (Sterling Mine, Stokes State Park)
- Sat 10/24 - Craft Fair at Parish House
- Sun 10/25 afternoon (tent.) - Next Den Meeting
- Next meeting, Would like to do Achievement #1 Feats of Skill, this is better suited outside during the day.
Boys can come in their "Class B" uniforms - that's any cub t-shirt.
Homework after the meeting: Complete #9a-e with parent.
I mentioned Den dues in an earlier email, since we were left with a surplus last year, we'll wait that runs out, then ask for dues.
I'd like to stay with the themes for put out by National for the months, which are as follows:
- September - Pockets
- October - Jungle Safari (outing to Lakota Wolf Preserve (tent.))
- November - Cub Scout Salute
- December - Work of Art
- January - Power Up! (outing to Utility (tent.))
- February - Happy Birthday B.S.A.
- March - Take Flight (outing to Airport (tent.))
- April - Spring into Action
- May - In The Spotlight